Why Christian Discipline Matters Now More Than Ever!Series: Summer Series 2017 "Now More Than Ever"
Hebrews 12:3-11; Prov. 22:6; 13:24
Christian discipline definition: Christian training and educating (Gal. 6:1).
Example: Mat. 18:15 - individual, two or three, then the church
Reasons why we don't practice Christian discipline:
- Fear of being considered judgmental or intolerant (Mat. 23 - Jesus and the Pharisees; John 13:26 - Jesus and Judas)
- Mat. 7:1, 24 - one of the most misunderstood verses in the Bible; we must judge by the standard or rule - the Bible!
Why is Christian discipline needed now more than ever?
- Because we're not doing it
- To protect the integrity of the church, the bride of Christ (Eph. 5:27)
- To distinguish the church and the Christ from the world
- Because we are sick in sin (Jude 1:23 - snatch out of fire; the blood of Jesus demands purity; communing on the first day is preventive maintenance - to examine ourselves)